Home Link Site Map Link
City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown
City Hall Link Visiting Charlottetown Link Living in Charlottetown Link Doing Business Link Contact Us Link How Do I? Link
Property #1352
Block # 1012

Identification  /  Property History & Ownership  / 
Architectural & Building History  /  Research & Footnotes


Image(s)


Photo by Natalie Munn

Photo by Natalie Munn



Identification

Civic Address:
20 Hillsborough Street
Historical Address:
18-20 Hillsborough Street

Resource Name:

Heritage Recognition:

See This Property on Map

Original Construction Time Period:

Feature Establishment Date:

Block Overview:
This block was heavily influenced by the development of the railway, most of the buildings appearing to have been built since its construction in the 1870's. The Matilda Brecken House that once stood on the Corner of Prince and Water Street was moved to the centre of this block sometime after 1870, but was torn down in the 1960's. Mrs. Hugh McLean ran the Lorne Hotel at the corner of Hillsborough and Water Street in the 1920's The presence of the railway gave rise to a number of hotels and boarding houses in this part of town.

Find more properties on this Block


top


Identification  /  Property History & Ownership  / 
Architectural & Building History  /  Research & Footnotes

Property History & Ownership

Resource Overview:
In 19th-century rural Prince Edward Island it was not unusual for individuals to enter into very lengthy leases. While not as common in Charlottetown, this property was an exception; Dennis Reddin leased it to Mary Dunn, widow of James Dunn in 1852 for 999 years. The rent was one peppercorn per year, but Mary did purchase a house on the property from Mr. Reddin for seventy pounds. The widow Dunn lived in the house until 1872, but before passing away assigned the lease to William G. Wright. He later passed it on to Patrick Lappin, engineer with the PEI Railway. [1] The Lappin family lived in the house until well into the twentieth century. The widow Mrs. Patrick Lappin was listed as occupying the property in 1914. Mrs. Anne Lappin was the occupant in 1929-30. [2] While the front of the house has been modernized, the scale and roofline hint at the age of the building. [3]

Owners/Occupants:
    From: To:
OccupantDunn, Mary
OccupantWright, William G.
OccupantLappin, Patrick G.
OccupantLappin, Mrs. Patrick (Anne)
OwnerReddin, Dennis


top


Identification  /  Property History & Ownership  / 
Architectural & Building History  /  Research & Footnotes

Architectural & Building History

Building Interior Overview:

Building Alterations Overview:

Exterior Building Material:
WOOD
Structural Building Material:
WOOD
Architect Name:

Architectural Style:

Builder:
Craftsman:

Resource Type:
BUILDING

 

Resource Use:
  From: To:
DOMESTIC-SINGLE DWELLING


top


Identification  /  Property History & Ownership  / 
Architectural & Building History  /  Research & Footnotes

Research & Footnotes

Researcher:
Rogers, Irene; Hennessey, Catherine

Footnotes:
1Irene Rogers, Charlottetown: The Life in its Buildings, pp. 135-136
2Ballingall's 1914 Directory, Might's 1929-30 City Directory, both at Public Archives and Records Office of Prince Edward Island


top

Friday, Jul 1, 2016
Living in Charlottetown

COMMUNITY SUSTAINABILITY

MAPS

ENVIRONMENT

HEALTH SERVICES

PLANNING & HERITAGE DEPARTMENT

PARKS & RECREATION

PUBLIC SAFETY

TRANSPORTATION & PUBLIC WORKS

URBAN BEAUTIFICATION

WATER & SEWER










Download Adobe Reader Free Link

Charlottetown Current Weather Icon
24 °C
5 Day Forecast
HomeLiving in CharlottetownHeritage • Search a Property