Home Link Site Map Link
City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown
City Hall Link Visiting Charlottetown Link Living in Charlottetown Link Doing Business Link Contact Us Link How Do I? Link
Property #1376
Block # 1016

Identification  /  Property History & Ownership  / 
Architectural & Building History  /  Research & Footnotes


Image(s)


Photo by Natalie Munn



Identification

Civic Address:
52 Queen Street
Historical Address:

Resource Name:
American Variety Store
Duffy's Store
Duffy's Restaurant
The Village Weavery
Queen Street Cafe

Heritage Recognition:
DESIGNATED - MUNICIPAL
MUNICIPAL-HERITAGE DISTRICT RESOURCE

See This Property on Map

Original Construction Time Period: 1866

Feature Establishment Date:

Block Overview:
The major part of this block was burnt in the Great Fire of 1866. The only structure that dates from before the disaster is the Barrett House. (106 Dorchester Street) Though it was damaged in the blaze, the fire was finally brought under control at the Barrett House and so did not spread to the nearby wooden St. Dunstan's Church and the upper town. Built in 1872 with a 1914 addition, the building known as the Bishop's Palace (45 Great George Street) now dominates the block. "When erected (it) will be an ornament and an honor to the city", a newspaper of the day announced.

Find more properties on this Block


top


Identification  /  Property History & Ownership  / 
Architectural & Building History  /  Research & Footnotes

Property History & Ownership

Resource Overview:
Tim O'Connell was one of many merchants burnt out by the Great Fire of July 1866. By November he had rebuilt, this building the result. O'Connell's American Variety Store was aptly named, offering such diverse products as books, confectionery, looking glasses, tobacco and room papers. The building was later purchased by the Duffy family who, happily, maintained much of the original character and scale of the original building. [1] The Guardian of June 18, 1920 noted that James P. Duffy's store had been splendidly renovated with the addition of an office in the rear. This "commodious and tastefully arranged" office was finished in a metallic effect that matched the handsome new steel ceilings in both the store and office. It was pointed out that the lighting fixtures were quite up to date. Following the closure of Duffy's Store in the 1980s the building became home to a number of restaurants including Duffy's Restaurant and the Queen Street Cafe, and later, the Village Weavery craft shop. [2] In 1984, renovations uncovered a painted advertising sign on the King Street side of the building that had been covered over many years before. The sign was believed to date from the 1890s. [3]

Owners/Occupants:
    From: To:
OccupantAmerican Variety Store1866
OccupantDuffy's Store
OccupantDuffy's Restaurant
OccupantQueen Street Cafe
OccupantVillage Weavery
OwnerO'Connell, Tim1866
OwnerDuffy, James P. and family


top


Identification  /  Property History & Ownership  / 
Architectural & Building History  /  Research & Footnotes

Architectural & Building History

Building Interior Overview:
In 1920 the interior of Duffy's store was expanded to create a larger space with an office to the rear. The office was finished in a metallic effect to match steel ceilings installed throughout. The lighting was improved at this time as well. [4]

Building Alterations Overview:

Exterior Building Material:
WOOD
Structural Building Material:
WOOD
Architect Name:

Architectural Style:
CLASSICAL REVIVAL/GREEK REVIVAL (1830-1870)

Builder:
Craftsman:

Resource Type:
BUILDING

 

Resource Use:
  From: To:
TRADE-SHOP OR STORE
TRADE-COMMERCIAL BUILDING


top


Identification  /  Property History & Ownership  / 
Architectural & Building History  /  Research & Footnotes

Research & Footnotes

Researcher:
Rogers, Irene; Hennessey, Catherine

Footnotes:
1Irene Rogers, Charlottetown: The Life in its Buildings, p. 224
2Personal papers of Catherine Hennessey
3Guardian, March 15, 1984
4Guardian, June 18, 1920


top

Sunday, Feb 18, 2018
Living in Charlottetown

COMMUNITY SUSTAINABILITY

MAPS

ENVIRONMENT

HEALTH SERVICES

PLANNING & HERITAGE DEPARTMENT

PARKS & RECREATION

PUBLIC SAFETY

TRANSPORTATION & PUBLIC WORKS

URBAN BEAUTIFICATION

WATER & SEWER










Download Adobe Reader Free Link

HomeLiving in CharlottetownHeritage • Search a Property