Home Link Site Map Link
City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown City of Charlottetown
City Hall Link Visiting Charlottetown Link Living in Charlottetown Link Doing Business Link Contact Us Link How Do I? Link
Property #1533
Block # 1033

Identification  /  Property History & Ownership  / 
Architectural & Building History  /  Research & Footnotes


Image(s)


Photo by Natalie Munn

Photo by Meacham's 1880 Atlas

Photo by Natalie Munn

PEI PARO Acc3466/HF72.66.18.9



Identification

Civic Address:
100 Queen Street
Historical Address:

Resource Name:
George Full Dry Goods
Prowse Bros.

Heritage Recognition:
DESIGNATED - MUNICIPAL
MUNICIPAL-HERITAGE DISTRICT RESOURCE

See This Property on Map

Original Construction Time Period: 1874

Feature Establishment Date:

Block Overview:
The Victoria Row (Richmond Street) side of this block has long been a centre of commerce. 19th and 20th century newspapers were filled with advertisements for businesses operating out of this location. A fire in 1884 destroyed everything from the Queen Square School (formerly on the corner of Richmond and Great George Street) to the wooden Stamper House at the corner of Queen and Richmond Street. This fire led to the building of the glorious row of Victorian buildings that we have today. The Stamper House was later moved to Grafton Street and the current building of brick and stone built in 1892.

Find more properties on this Block


top


Identification  /  Property History & Ownership  / 
Architectural & Building History  /  Research & Footnotes

Property History & Ownership

Resource Overview:
This three-storey brick building was built for Mr. George Full in 1874. The building's windows feature labels with corbels and keystones. [1] The building was originally home to two shops, George Full in one, Charles Full in the other. [3] An 1888 newspaper advertisement noted that George Full, dealer in boots, shoes, hats, capes, trunks and valises could be found on Queen Street at the sign of the lion. [4] The Examiner of May 22, 1890 reported that "Prowse and Co." had bought out the business of George E. Full. Prowse's business would eventually occupy much of the Queen Street block between Richmond and Sydney Streets. In 1960 it was reported that with the impending closure of Prowse, Bros., the former George E. Full Building had been bought by the Island Radio Centre. [2]

Owners/Occupants:
    From: To:
OccupantGeorge Full
OccupantCharles Full
OccupantProwse Bros.
OwnerFull, George1874
OwnerProwse Bros
OwnerIsland Radio Centre


top


Identification  /  Property History & Ownership  / 
Architectural & Building History  /  Research & Footnotes

Architectural & Building History

Building Interior Overview:

Building Alterations Overview:

Exterior Building Material:
BRICK
Structural Building Material:
BRICK
Architect Name:

Architectural Style:
ITALIANATE-COMMERCIAL (1840-1890)

Builder:
Craftsman:

Resource Type:
BUILDING

 

Resource Use:
  From: To:
TRADE-COMMERCIAL BUILDING


top


Identification  /  Property History & Ownership  / 
Architectural & Building History  /  Research & Footnotes

Research & Footnotes

Researcher:
Rogers, Irene; Hennessey, Catherine

Footnotes:
1Irene Rogers, Charlottetown: The Life in its Buildings, p. 230
2Guardian, October 4, 1960


top

Saturday, Nov 25, 2017
Living in Charlottetown

COMMUNITY SUSTAINABILITY

MAPS

ENVIRONMENT

HEALTH SERVICES

PLANNING & HERITAGE DEPARTMENT

PARKS & RECREATION

PUBLIC SAFETY

TRANSPORTATION & PUBLIC WORKS

URBAN BEAUTIFICATION

WATER & SEWER










Download Adobe Reader Free Link

HomeLiving in CharlottetownHeritage • Search a Property